Monday, July 4, 2011

I often surprise myself

There is a short story contest going on for Paranormal Romance that I was considering a submission for. (Romance isn't my genre, but there's one that kind of fits in their category).

I haven't read this particular piece in about a year, and I was astounded that I wrote it. Not because it's that bad, but because it was much better than I remembered and I was surprised by the wording. It's very different from Jess' story lines, so it's a bit odd to me that I even wrote it. I know I have different styles for different characters, but still, I was surprised I had written it. It's a style I'd read, but not one I thought I could actually write. So, yes, I surprised myself, and pleasantly so.

Do other writers do this? Surprise themselves with their own writing? It's kind of like catching yourself in a window after getting into shape and thinking "Is that me?". Happier moment than the one I see more often these days of an larger version of my mother staring back at me in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment