Saturday, September 14, 2013

Brownie Cookie Perfected!

Note: This can also be found on my crafting blog at pyrhaven.blogspot.com (in case anyone was worrying about copyrights).

It's taken me longer than expected, but I finally got the recipe down. These turned out nice and chewy once completely cooled and are very close to my all-time favorite one that I used to get in high school. They're not exactly alike though as I refuse to use corn syrup in my recipes whenever I can avoid it.

So here's the basic recipe and if you're a corn syrup fan, you can take out 2 tablespoons of the sugar in exchange for 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup to get a moister, chewy brownie cookie.


First whisk together (or use a mixer) the following:


  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter (melted) or you could substitute for shortening, but then why bother?
  • 2 teaspsoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt  (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee/espresso (optional)

Put the mixer on slow and add the following:

  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (regular or dark cocoa) - add this 1/4 cup at a time
  • 2 eggs - extra large or jumbo size

When the eggs are just blended turn off the mixer and stir in the dry ingredients by hand:

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (if you like "cakier" brownies use baking powder)
  • 2 1/3 cups flour

The dough will be thick. You can either spoon them onto a parchment lined cookie sheet (non-stick may work too), or do what I do which is roll them into a ball, much like Snickerdoodles.  For a thinner cookie, use wax paper and the bottom of a glass to flatten them out, otherwise they spread fine and end up about as thick as my Snickerdoodles.

Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 8 minutes (undercooked is ok) and leave them on the still hot cookie sheet for at least 4 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cook.  These are at their chewiest after they are completely cooled.

Feel free to add in whatever you wish, chocolate chips do really well in these as do nuts, cinnamon chips, white chocolate, and vanilla chips.

These are a good cookie to involve your kids in too as there is no need for a mixer and kids are always good to have around for rolling cookie dough. Just remember to kick the dog out of the kitchen - the cocoa powder is a major no-no and my dogs kept trying to sneak back in while I made these.  Be kinder than I was and put them outside where they (hopefully) won't be able to smell the heavenly aroma.

No comments:

Post a Comment